A car accident can be a very traumatic event. Stress and injuries may affect your ability to think clearly. How you react to the accident and the information that you obtain can be a critical element in your case. After an accident:
- Be careful. If you are in severe pain, wait for paramedics to arrive to assess your injuries.
- Speak with other drivers and witnesses involved only to obtain names, addresses and telephone numbers. Do not discuss the accident with other drivers or witnesses.
- Make sure that you acquire each driver’s automobile insurance information including the name of the person insured on the vehicle, the company’s name and telephone number if known.
- Contact the police to make an immediate report of the accident and remain at the scene until after an officer arrives.
- Cooperate with the police in preparing an accident report. After the accident, photograph the exterior and interior of the vehicles involved in the accident.
- Do not fill out or sign any insurance documents, or provide recorded statements without first consulting with a lawyer.
- If injured, consult with a physician as soon as possible.
If you or someone you know have been in an accident, call Davis & Gelshenen LLP at 1-866-427-2121 for a free initial consultation with one of our Experienced, Trusted, and Recommended Personal Injury Attorneys. Davis & Gelshenen LLP handles cases throughout Wisconsin, Illinois, and Ohio, and will meet with you at your home to discuss your case.